The H2n Handy Recorder is the only portable recording device to come with five built-in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround. Other advanced features include automatic gain control and onboard MS decoding, plus effects like compression, limiting and low cut filtering. You can even use the H2n as a multi-purpose USB microphone!
With its multiple microphones and recording modes, the H2n can handle just about every kind of application. Here are just a few ways it can be used:
- Live recording of concerts and rehearsals, in either stereo or surround sound
- Location videography—the H2n gives you plenty of options in postproduction
- Creating audio for YouTube videos
- Generating lasting audio documents of important events
- As a USB microphone providing input to recording software
The H2n offers not one, not two, but five built-in microphones. Two of them are arranged as an X/Y pair, while the other three are configured in an MS (“Mid-Side”) pattern. They can be used separately for X/Y or MS stereo recording, or combined to create stunning 2- or 4-channel surround sound.
Mid-Side recording is an incredible technique that allows you to actually adjust the width of the stereo image after it has been recorded, while maintaining perfect mono compatibility, making it especially useful for film, video and television projects.
The H2n Line In is a stereo ⅛” mini phone jack that can accept two channels of mic- and/or line-level signals. Condenser microphones requiring Plug-In Power (2.5 volts) can be connected to this jack. An analog-type Mic Gain dial allows you to manually set input level, or you can choose one of the three Auto Gain presets to automatically set the optimum recording level.
The H2n Line Out is a stereo ⅛” phone jack with dedicated volume control. Headphones can be connected to this jack for private monitoring of the input or recorded signal. There’s also a built-in speaker on the back panel for fast monophonic monitoring of the recorded signal without the need to make any connections.
The H2n USB port provides a digital output of the stereo mix and allows data to be sent to and from your computer. From there, it can be imported into editing software such as the supplied WaveLab LE. USB also enables the H2n to be used as a 2-in/2-out audio interface or as a USB microphone.
- Five built-in microphones and four recording modes: Mid-Side (MS) stereo, 90 degree X/Y stereo, and both 2-channel and 4-channel surround
- Analog-type input gain control
- Auto Gain provides three preset recording levels
- Stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack with Plug-in power (2.5V)
- Stereo ⅛” Phone/Line Output jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.8 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- WAV to MP3 conversion
- Internal mixdown: four-track surround to stereo
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting and low-cut filtering
- Onboard MS decoding
- Normalize and Divide functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150% for phrase training
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer and use as a USB microphone
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Data recovery function automatically saves data if power fails or card is removed
- Mounts directly to tripod or DSLR
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AC adapter (AD-17, USB to AC type)
- Over 20 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries