The H4n Handy Recorder has long been a favourite of audio and video aficionados everywhere. It offers four tracks of simultaneous recording, a built-in X/Y stereo microphone, and advanced features such as time stamping, phantom power and mid-side (MS) decoding, as well as onboard multi-effects and guitar/bass amp modelling. Rugged, lightweight and versatile, the H4n is a great audio companion for everything from live concert recording to location videography to music-making.
The H4n provides two different ways of recording great-sounding stereo. The X/Y technique is an excellent way to cover a wide area while still capturing sound sources in the centre with clarity and definition, making it ideal for all types of live stereo recording.
The H4n’s built-in X/Y microphone provides two matched unidirectional microphones. The angle of the two can easily be changed from 90 degrees for a tightly focused stereo image to 120 degrees for a wider image. (US Patent 8184815)
The H4n also provides an onboard MS decoder so you can do MS (“Mid-Side”) recording using external microphones. This is an incredible technique that allows you to adjust the width of the stereo image after it has been recorded, while maintaining perfect mono compatibility, making it especially useful for film, video and television projects.
The H4n transforms any environment into a home studio. Its ability to record up to four tracks simultaneously, along with powerful overdubbing and punch-in features, allows you to do high-quality recording—up to 24-bit/96kHz—wherever you go. Onboard effects such as compression, limiting, reverb, and guitar and bass amp modelling enable you to turn your musical creations into studio-quality recordings. Four-track recordings can easily be mixed down to stereo or mono, with independent control over each track’s level and panning, and you can even convert your finished song to an MP3 file for emailing and posting to your favourite social networking site.
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Built-in X/Y stereo mic, adjustable between 90˚ and 120˚
- Onboard MS decoding
- Dual mic/line/instrument level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Flexible overdubbing and punch-in/out
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
- Normalise (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adaptor
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 6 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries (over 11 hours in Stamina mode)
- AC adaptor included