BOSS AC-22LX ACOUSTIC AMPLIFIER
A Full-Immersion Acoustic Experience
The AC-22LX presents a new concept in acoustic amplification, bringing you a full-immersion playing experience realised through advanced BOSS spatial technology. Air Feel breathes life into the dry, sterile sound of standard acoustic instrument pickups, recreating the richly detailed tones captured by classic stereo acoustic microphone setups in world-class studio settings. The AC-22LX’s inspiring voice projects far beyond its compact size, infusing your amplified sound with depth, dimension, and natural acoustic resonance.
- Compact amplifier for acoustic-electric guitars and other pickup-equipped acoustic instruments
- Innovative Air Feel feature recreates stereo microphone setups, producing inspiring acoustic sound with depth, dimension, and natural resonance
- Small, easy-to-carry design with two custom-designed 5-inch twin-cone speakers
- 10-watt stereo power amp (5 watts x 2)
- Guitar/Instrument channel with three-band EQ and dedicated Reverb and Reverb & Chorus effects
- Mic channel with XLR input, phantom power, two-band EQ, and dedicated Reverb effect
- Five Air Feel settings: Dry, XY, AB, ORTF, and Mid-Side
- 15 memories for storing and recalling sound setups
- Onboard Rhythm Box with 15 patterns
- Customise pattern types with 119 selections in the AC-22LX Editor
- Built-in looper (requires optional footswitch)
- Stereo line output with Air Feel
- Stereo aux input for music playback
- USB audio interface with Loopback for recording and livestreaming
- Runs on included AC adaptor or eight AA batteries
- AC-22LX Editor app (macOS/Windows/iOS/Android) for deep sound editing
- Optional Bluetooth® Audio MIDI Dual Adaptor (BT-DUAL) for wireless audio playback from a mobile device, customising sounds with the mobile editor, and more
- For optimal performance, stay up to date with the current AC-22LX system software and AC-22LX Editor.
Premium Amplification for Acoustic Stringed Instruments
The AC-22LX offers amazingly natural sound reproduction in a portable stereo amplifier. The compact and attractive cabinet is equipped with two custom twin-cone speakers, providing expansive stereo tones for home playing. From acoustic-electric guitar to ukulele, violin, banjo, and other pickup-equipped stringed instruments, the AC-22LX and Air Feel deliver the ultimate personal amplification experience for serious acoustic players.
Capturing Natural Acoustic Sound
Many elements contribute to the rich, complex sound of acoustic stringed instruments, including the soundboard, body resonances, and more. In recording situations, stereo microphone setups are used to capture this combined sound along with the surrounding room ambience. Using a variety of time-tested techniques, an experienced audio engineer will carefully position the mics to create the right balance for a song or playing style. Unfortunately, instrument microphones are not practical for most amplified playing situations due to feedback and other issues. The Air Feel technology in the AC-22LX erases these limitations, bringing authentic studio microphone sound to acoustic amplification for the first time.
Multi-Dimensional Tone with Air Feel
Born of intensive BOSS sound research and advanced processing technologies, Air Feel transforms your pickup’s sound with acoustic richness and dimension never possible until now. Simply plug in and enjoy your instrument’s natural acoustic character at performance volumes—without the need for microphones and audio engineering skills.
Air Feel Types
- Dry—Unprocessed tone that amplifies the direct pickup sound.
- XY—Recreates a coincident pair technique that uses two mics placed in an XY pattern. This focused stereo sound provides a good balance between the strings and body resonance, making it ideal for rhythmic chord strumming and muted playing.
- AB—Recreates a spaced-pair mic technique for a wide stereo sound with naturally expanded acoustic resonance. This big, full presentation is great for solo guitar and fingerpicking styles.
- ORTF—This special stereo mic technique combines elements of the XY and space-pair approaches. It produces a focused tone with increased depth and body resonance.
- Mid-Side—This classic technique produces a well-defined sound with a wide stereo spread. It adds a sense of distance, providing a nice ensemble blend with vocals and other instruments.
Powerful Sound-Shaping Tools
Along with five Air Feel settings, the AC-22LX’s Guitar/Instrument channel features a three-band EQ plus reverb and combined reverb/chorus effects for additional spatial depth. The XLR Mic channel has selectable phantom power for condenser mics, plus a two-band EQ and dedicated reverb for independent processing. With 15 onboard memories, you can save and recall setups for different songs and instruments. The AC-22LX Editor provides even deeper control, allowing you to change out reverb types, access detailed effect parameters, and much more.
The AC-22LX includes an onboard Rhythm Box to liven up practice sessions and enhance live performances. Five instrument types include percussion and full drum set sounds, all infused with BOSS spatial technology that fills the surrounding space with vibrant rhythmic energy. Choose from 15 different patterns, and then set up the perfect groove with the tap tempo button. And if you need something beyond the onboard selections, you can customise patterns with 119 variations in the AC-22LX Editor.
Perform, Record, and Stream
With its versatile analog and USB connectivity, you can send the AC-22LX’s sound output to a PA system, recorder, or streaming application, complete with Air Feel processing and spatial rhythm tones. Perform in any venue, from small clubs to concert stages. Capture natural-sounding acoustic tracks in your DAW without the hassle of using microphones. Or livestream performances directly to your social media channels. The analog line output supports mono or stereo operation, while the USB connection has a convenient Loopback function for monitoring sounds from a computer.
Expanded Performance Control
There are a variety of available options to extend the AC-22LX experience. A rear-panel jack supports up to two footswitches, providing access to rhythm start/stop, control of the onboard looper, and other assignable functions in the AC-22LX Editor. Installing the Bluetooth Audio MIDI Dual Adaptor unlocks even more possibilities through wireless connectivity. Control additional functions with an EV-1-WL Wireless MIDI Expression Pedal or FS-1-WL Wireless Footswitch. Wirelessly stream music from a mobile device and play along. Or use the iOS/Android version of the editor for cable-free parameter control.